American Red Cross National Headquarters
This award-winning project combines historic renovation and new construction in a 750,000-square-foot building. The existing, historically significant, and Clark-built Red Cross Chapter House was incorporated into the project. Behind it is a new, state-of-the-art, 10-story office tower that supports the organization's international work.
The American Red Cross National Headquarters, completed in 2003, combined the exisiting 85,000 square-foot building with a new state-of-the-art facility with more thean 450,000 square feet of office space. To accomodate the new facility, however, the team had to relocat the old headquarters from the middle of the site to the front of the property. Bridging the old with the new, much of the original material, such as the limestone façadehistoric window frames, interior millwork and marble, was saved from the old 1950’s Red Cross Chapter House, also built by Clark. The historic structure connects to the new addition via a dramatic, one-of-a-kind skylit atrium. The new building’s façade comprised of an architectural mix of limestone, curtain wall and embossed metal panels.
The building includes numerous features that enhance the international organization's operations. These include a disaster operations center, radio room, and an armed forces emergency services call center, complete with facilities for specialized teams and conference rooms, as well as briefing areas. On the ground floor, a blood collection facility occupies the east side. In the monumental stone atrium, audio-visual display screens provide up-to-date information about American Red Cross operations and projects. The 2,500-square-foot telephone demarcation room is the hub of the organization’s telecommunications system. It is protected by FM-200 fire suppression systems in the ceiling and underneath the raised flooring.