C&O Canal Lift Locks Rehabilitation
Clark Civil performed repairs on the Georgetown portion of the C&O Canal, which was built in 1823 and operated until 1924. This project enabled the National Park Service to reopen the Georgetown canal for boat tours.
Clark Civil dismantled Lock 3 and performed partial repairs of Lock 4, including repointing and stone repairs. The project team also surveyed stones from Lock 3 before excavating the stones using a remotely-operated, self-erecting crane. The team then rebuilt the foundation and reinstall the stones in the historic grid position.
The team also removed the wood timbers from the canal’s original construction to pour a new concrete mat foundation. The team rebuilt the lock gates to both locks to allow for water and boats to move through the canal.
Clark Foundations is part of the project team and performed support of excavation.