150 North Riverside

Transforming Chicago's Riverfront
This is a good project for the City with more than 1,500 construction jobs being created.
Bob Reiter, Secretary-Treasurer of the Chicago Federation of Labor
Location: 
Chicago, Illinois
Client: 
Riverside Investment and Development Company
Architect: 
Goettsch Partners, Inc.
Contract Value: 
$273,000,000
Size: 
1,200,000 Square Feet
Year Completed: 
2017
Certification: 
LEED Gold (targeted)
Sector: 
150 North Riverside rises 54 stories on the eastern edge of a two-acre site on the Chicago River's west bank. The building features 1.2 million square feet of leasable office space, but due to a unique superstructure design, it only encompass 25 percent of the lot. The remaining 75 percent of the project site contains a public park, amphitheater, and riverwalk.
 

The building's façade has a rippling texture, created by undulating fins affixed at each vertical mullion in the unitized curtain wall system. A dramatic lobby, nearly 100 feet tall at its peak and surrounded by a structural glass fin wall system, welcomes visitors and visually connect the interior and exterior. In addition to office space, 150 North Riverside features a 7,000 square-foot fitness center, and conference facilities, including a 260-person ballroom/meeting space and two boardrooms.

The 54-story tower is nestled between the Chicago River and an existing building; seven active railroad tracks run directly through the site, and two elevated roadways border the tower's east side. Despite challenging site logistics, the team was able to keep the project on schedule by developing a floating platform system that allowed them to place a crane on a barge in the river. Read more about how the team turned the Chicago River into an asset here

Clark also performed significant city infrastructure improvements, reconstructing the site's riverwall and upgrading several traffic and pedestrian signals.  The project's riverwalk is linked to River Point Plaza – the city's new riverfront pedestrian walkway system, which Clark also constructed. Adding to the project's complexity, the site is located over seven active commuter and Amtrak rail lines.

150 North Riverside is pre-certified LEED® Gold and is designed to minimize energy consumption while maximizing light and air, open space, and the overall quality of the tenant work environment. In addition to the plaza-level open space, the tower features 100 percent green roof space.

Awards: 
Chicago Commercial Real Estate Awards - Development of the Year, 2017
Building Design + Construction Building Team Awards - Platinum Award, 2017
Chicago Building Congress - Merit Award Finalist, 2017
ENR Midwest Regional Awards - Best Project Office/Retail/Mixed-Use, 2017
American Institute of Steel Construction - National Award, Innovative Design in Engineering and Architecture with Structural Steel
NAIOP Commercial Real Estate Development Association - Office of the Year
Associated General Contractors of America - Merit Winner, Build America Award
2018 Urban Land Institute Chicago Vision Award