A. James Clark, 1927-2015
A graduate of the University of Maryland’s School of Engineering, Mr. Clark began his construction career in 1950 with The George Hyman Company (later to be renamed Clark Construction). Within two decades, he ascended through the company ranks and assumed the role of President and Chief Executive Officer. During his 64-year tenure, Mr. Clark dramatically expanded the Clark Construction Group’s service offerings and geographic footprint. The company currently has more than a dozen regional offices across the country, and more than 4,000 employees.
Perhaps one of Mr. Clark's greatest legacies to the company, and all the people that work here, is that he planned thoroughly and thoughtfully for the day when he was no longer here and carefully transitioned the leadership of the company to where it is today.
Mr. Clark left an indelible mark on our company and the construction industry. Equally as important as the contributions he made to the built environment, is the tremendous impact he made through his philanthropy. A man of great principles, Mr. Clark believed firmly in the importance of giving back to the community. Leading by example, he taught us all to do the same.
We are grateful for the contributions Mr. Clark made to our organization, and for his exemplary lessons in leadership and humanity. While he will be dearly missed, his legacy will endure, both through his extraordinary charitable giving, and the big blue Clark signs that dot the landscape.
To read A. James Clark’s biography entitled “The Builder” click here.